The giving tree lesson plan
There’s a lot to learn from this wonderful short story based on the book and drawings of Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree. Select one of the videos to watch with your students, find your giving trees to care about and then answer the 3 questions below.
There’s a lot to learn from this wonderful tree that just wants to love and give:
- Giving and caring makes us happy.
- Sadness comes when all we do is take from others.
- If we just take from mother nature she’ll be sad and will fade away.
- If we give back to mother nature then she’ll be happy. We will increase the abundance of natural resources and develop happier and healthier societies.
- Find your giving tree – find a tree you care about. It can be a tree you’ve planted, saved or a tree you just love. Maybe it’s in your garden, school grounds or you see it on your way to school.
- Take a photo of your giving tree.
- Give your tree a name.
- Answer the 3 questions below. This is a great group activity and participants can read out their answers to the group. You could even create a presentation and drawings based on the responses.
- Register your giving tree in ForestNation’s tree register. (Optional)
- Why do you love trees?
- What do you care about?
- Imagine a world where everyone grows their own tree. What would it be like?